Our first mini-series will be on physical well-being, perhaps one of the most important forms of self-care. Now, we aren’t talking about pulling out the lycra, going to the gym every day, and getting sweating. We are talking about the physical body and the healthy changes that can make an impact, change your mindset and help your overall wellbeing. So, go grab yourself a cuppa, and enjoy our first edit!
Our second installment to Physical Well-being is Walking! ⠀
We aren’t talking about walking to the office kitchen to make a cuppa, or across the road for a magazine. We are talking about getting outside, in the crisp air, and going for a 10-30 minute walk, at least 4 days a week.
Walking is a calming, low-impact form of exercise, which can not only improve your mental well-being but has some amazing health benefits as well!
What Are The Benefits:
1. Walking keeps your heart healthy, by shedding bad cholesterol & reduces heart disease.
2. Can prevent strokes, type 2 diabetes, and Alzheimer’s.
3. Walking burns calories, tones your body, keeps your muscles & tissue strong, maintaining healthy bones & joints, whilst also shedding weight.
4. Decreases stress, by activating soothing neutrons. Can elevate mood, whilst reducing anxiety and depression, and can increase the body’s energy levels.
5. Walking during the day can also decrease insomnia and improve sleep, which in turn improves your cognitive function & alertness.
6. It increases the body’s vitamin D intake, cleans the lungs, purifies the blood, and increased the body’s happy chemical, serotonin.
Want To Increase Your Walking?
On your lunch: All you need is 10-minutes! It has been proven that 10-minutes of walking can leave you feeling more energetic and more alert, for the rest of your shift. Go for a 10-minute stroll around the block, or take a wander to your favourite spot and enjoy your lunch alfresco.
Skip the bus, train, or tube: Yep, if you live close to work, skip public transport! Even if it is just a couple of days a week. Not only will you save money, but you will feel a lot better and maybe even find some nice little shops along the way.
Weekend or Evening: Take a 30-minute walk alone or try a lovely walk to the park, along the river or sea with a friend and grab a nice hot chocolate!
That’s all from me today, I’m away to enjoy my own self-care Sunday, with some batch cooking, a nice bath, a little meditation, and a face mask, as I am still recovering from yesterday's long walk. I hope you have enjoyed this little minute to yourself with your cuppa, or reading in a quiet spot outside. I want to see all your posts of you out enjoying the first days of Spring, so tag me in your scenic photos, and I will leave you now to enjoy your own little walk!
Happy self-care Sunday everyone!